This dish is packed with some amazing flavor. I made the full recipe and served it as a side dish, then brought small containers to work all week after for snacks. The flavor was more amazing each day.
One important thing to note is that if you’re eating collard greens for their nutritional benefit and not just for their wonderful flavor factor, you should try to cut them ahead of cooking/eating and let them sit for 10 minutes. Read further on why here.
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 bunch collard greens, sliced into 1-inch-thick pieces
1 cup red lentils
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in garam masala and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes (including the juice) with 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in collards. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine lentils and 2 cups water in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir the lentils into the skillet with the collards and serve.