So I was making those mini cheesecake tartlets last night for a party we’ll be attending this evening. In the refer I had fresh strawberries and blueberries so I figured that I’d use these up rather than buying canned stuff for the tops. Here’s what I did:
- in a small sauce pan stir together 1 cup sugar, the juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 cup of water, the seeds of 1 vanilla bean, and the bean pod
- bring to a boil this concoction, remove the vanilla bean pods, then add whole blueberries or chopped strawberries
- lower heat and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes
- sprinkle in about 1 tablespoon flour to thicken a bit & whisk it up to be sure there are no lumps
- turn off the heat, transfer the fruit and syrup to a thick dish, and refrigerate until cooled
This stuff is sweet and packed full of berry flavor. As long as the fresh fruit is in season, this is the way to go.