A wicked cool Friday night

So my brother had called early in the week to ask if he and Karrah could come over to visit and celebrate my birthday.  Of course I said yes and that I’d cook dinner.  Well there wasn’t a huge selection in the freezer for meats except chicken and I was trying hard not to make pasta because they eat a lot of that.  So I found a recipe that I was able to tweak a bit and we had chicken and artichoke fricassee as our main dish.  That worked out great because last week one of the farmers had baby artichokes for sale, and so I randomly bought 5 of them not knowing what I’d do with them.  To go with we had roasted vegetables which consisted of beets, turnips, purple haze carrots, red onion, garlic, cauliflower, and sweet potato.  I also whipped up a small batch of Mom’s bread stuffing while I roasted some halved acorn squashes in maple syrup.  When the squash came out of the oven I made sure that they were each well-glazed with syrup on the inside and then stuffed them and grated a bit of fresh Parmesian cheese over the top and stuck them back in to roast for a bit.  I also baked up a can of those nasty little dinner rolls that Chris loves so much, the crescent rolls.  I think it came out really good.  Chris didn’t eat much but that’s nothing new.  Plates were clean and there weren’t a ton of left-overs and that’s how I like it.
Karrah and I finished off the bottle of Pinot Grigio that I had opened for the chicken dish.  Then we opened a bottle of the plum wine that I’d picked up at Nashoba winery during HT‘s bachelorette.  It was surprisingly better than I’d expected.  It was sweet (as it’s a dessert wine) but not overly sweet.  We each just had a small taste of that wine and then re-corked it (thanks to my new toy).  I got to open gifts too.
Next Mike suggested that we pop on up to the Dove for a beer or two.  So we piled into his car and mosied on up.  It was great.  We got there when it was still early so it was fairly empty and quiet.  That didn’t last long, of course.  We had a couple of beers and sat around talking for a couple of hours and had a really good time.  When we were done they brought us home and hit the road again (it takes a while to get back to their place from here).  Then the wild monkey lovin’ began….
So I went to sleep some time after midnight- both Chris and I did, actually.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning and realized that we hadn’t locked the door or shut off the outside light or turned off our tv.  We were so drained that we just didn’t think of it.  So I went around and did all of that and went back to sleep until about six.  And now I’m up and waiting for Mamacita to pick me up for farmer’s market.  Chris and I will be going to a Halloween party tonight, in costume, with Bob and Tammy.  It should be fun and we’re both looking forward to hanging out with them since we don’t see them nearly as much as we used to.  W00t!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *